MAINTENANCE & WARRANTY
At West Port we are proud of our products and service we offer our customers. We deliver different solutions to meet our individual customers needs assuring we provide the right product for the right job on time and within our customers budget. Please take a look through our case studies below to learn more about how we could help your business.
CARE OF TIMBER PRODUCTS ON SITE
Delivery & Storage
• All products must be checked at the time of delivery to ensure that they are in accordance with the order schedule, the delivery is complete and that each product including any protective packaging is not damaged. Contact details are on the delivery notes therefore contact should be made within 24 hours of delivery.
• All products should be removed from the vehicle and stored, preferably inside a building, with plenty of cover. They should also be kept off the ground to protect from dampness. Try to avoid metal storage containers as excessive heat can build up and damage the products.
• Polythene sheeting should not be used as this can create a greenhouse effect and encourage damp or humid conditions. There must be space for air to circulate between each product.
• It is important for site to check the moisture content of the timber windows and these should be between 13% and 19% during storage. All products should be only kept in a storage area.
• West Port recommend products are not left on site more than one week before installation. Deliveries around your fitting schedule can be arranged with our logistics team.
Handling Products On-Site
• All products should be lifted by the main frame and carried vertically.
• Do not drag windows or stack on top of each other.
• Ensure the moisture content is similar to the previous level which it was manufactured with.
• Pre-glazed products are fragile, as the glass units could be broken without the correct care. If possible retain the packaging and make sure it is not possible for water to remain in glazed rebates by storing vertically. Water lying on a horizontal window or door will cause the timber to swell and will invalidate the warranty.
• Finished products should be fitted into a preformed opening and not built in areas.
To prolong the life of timber window and door products, they need to be inspected and cleaned at least twice a year. The maximum ‘Warranty Period’ for each component is detailed later in this document. In practice, carrying out redecoration earlier than the expiry of the ‘Warranty Period’ will significantly improve the longevity of the products.
Streaking on a painted surface will be minimised if the surface is washed from top to bottom. Superficial surface dirt can be removed by washing with water and a damp cloth. Remove heavier accumulations with a mild solution of household detergent. Always wipe the surface well with clean water to remove excess detergent.
• Do not allow abrasive tools, strong detergents ammonia or bleach to come in to contact with finished surfaces.
• Avoid solvents or other harsh cleaning chemicals.
• Avoid leaving detergents and other liquid cleaners on wood substrates to prevent possible saturation and/or absorption.
• Avoid cement, plaster or abrasive materials coming into contact with finished surfaces.
Surfaces that have been damaged or where the paint has some other form of defect should be treated with a brush-applied preservative. The relevant Remmers stain must be applied liberally to the cut. Once dry lnduline SW-910 end grain protection should be applied (minimum 2 coats} and allowed to dry. Finally two coats of the appropriate Remmers finish should be applied allowing for drying time between coats.
For more information on how to deal with blistering, cracking, flaking or any cuts to the painted surface please refer to and follow the advice from the ‘Remmers Maintenance Guide’.
Glass and Glazing
Glass can be cleaned with any proprietary household glass cleaner, with a soft cloth and it is recommended that heavy external grime be initially removed with a solution of soap and water.
Scratches to Glass
Most scratches occurring can be removed with jewellers rouge, or an equivalent rubbing compound, taking care in use and application as detailed by the manufacturer’s instructions, alternatively seek professional advice.
Blemishes and Imperfections; Minor blemishes and imperfections are inherent in all modern glazing and therefore beyond control, but are considered acceptable by the most rigorous industry standards, therefore your attention is drawn to the following, as extracted from the ‘Glass and Glazing Federation Standard’, which is the accepted industry based standard.
1. Transparent Glass, used in the manufacture of double glazed units is identical to that used in traditional single glazing and will therefore have a similar level of quality.
2. Both panes of the double glazed unit shall be viewed from the room side, standing at a distance of two metres (6.5’) in natural daylight and not in direct sunlight. The area to be viewed is the normal vision area, with the exception of a 50mm (2”) wide band around the perimeter of the unit.
3. Flat transparent glass shall be deemed acceptable if the following phenomena are neither obtrusive nor bunched: totally enclosed seeds; bubbles or blisters; hairlines or blobs, fine scratches, not more than 25mm (1 “) long; minute embedded particles.
Obtrusiveness of blemishes shall be judged by looking through the glass and not at it, under normal lighting conditions as described in point 2.
Glass Unit Replacement
The replacement of any glass sealed units must be carried out by a competent person in accordance with BS 6262; and the units themselves must be confirmed as complying with BS EN 1279 and as applicable BS EN 12150 for toughened glass i.e. glass with etched mark in the corner.
Condensation: Following a clear and frosty night there can be times in the morning where the surface of the outside of the glass pane is colder than the air outside, this can result in external condensation in the middle of the glass unit, however the condensation will disappear when the outside air temperature rises during the day.
Weather seals need no special maintenance apart from ordinary cleaning with a cloth and a solution of soap and water.
Ensure that the fitted weather seals do not become dislodged from their grooves, should this occur, slide/fix back into position immediately to avoid damage when the window is closed. If the weather seals are broken or damaged in anyway and draughts are present, ensure/seek prompt repair or replacement by a competent person.
Please note that whilst generally used in ensuring the effective weather sealing of windows some discolouration of mastic seals is a natural occurrence and cannot be avoided.
Ironmongery; Installers should leave the ‘Information Circle’ attached to the product once installation is completed so customers can observe the maintenance details. To maintain the high quality finish of this product, we recommend wiping it with a clean cloth soaked in warm water and mild detergent every month. Moving parts should be lightly lubricated twice a year.
Keep the locking mechanism sliding components free of dirt, dust or debris and lubricate each slot with light machine oil i.e. 3-in-1 as required.
Coastal / Heavy Industry Areas
Conditions at coastal locations (within 3 miles of the coast) or at heavily industrialised areas may require more regular maintenance of ironmongery and seals. It is recommended that maintenance as described above is carried out once every 3 months.
West Port windows have been specifically designed to include a variety of security features in order to enhance the added protection of your home against intrusion, and in recognition of the same have been awarded the Police preferred specification status ‘Secured by Design’ (SBD). Usage of the associated logo is restricted exclusively to those products that have been successfully tested to SBD requirements.
We never the less recommend a number of sensible precautions which should be taken to gain full advantage of the security features encompassed, such as to never leave a window open when your home is unattended. For added protection, lock all windows and doors and remove any keys as relevant to the handles fitted.
Note: In order to provide adequate means of escape in the event of any emergency arising, we recommend that the appropriate keys for windows fitted with locking handles are located within the vicinity of the window, but out of external view.
Door Warranty Limitation
Ideally, external door frames should be set well back from the outer face of a wall. External doors opening outwards should be particularly well protected. Warranties on doors are not valid if the door is installed in a wall without a protective canopy, or where there is no cover provided from a roof overhang or a protruding head drip.
• All finishing warranties are subject to the environmental conditions of the site location, and adherence to the care and maintenance procedures laid down by manufacturers under the conditions.
• Colour variations in timber may occur as it is a natural product.
• Any alteration or modification to your product following delivery must be authorised by ourselves as failure to seek authorisation may result in your warranty being invalidated.
For a period of 10 years from the date of supply, West Port warrants that the goods will be free of rot or fungal infection under normal conditions, and that every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the use of good quality materials, and where care and maintenance as per this document has been carried out satisfactorily.
For a period of 10 years from the date of supply, West Port warrants that double glazed sealed cavity units, supplied factory fitted shall be fit for purpose for which goods of the type are normally used under normal conditions, and that every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the use of good quality materials, and where care and maintenance as per this document has been carried out satisfactorily.
For a period of 10 years from the date of supply, West Port warrants that all hardware that is supplied factory fitted shall be fit for purpose for which goods of the type are normally used under normal conditions, and that every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the use of good quality materials, and where care and maintenance as per this document has been carried out satisfactorily.
For a period of 10 years from the date of supply, West Port warrants that all goods supplied will be free from defects as a result of manufacturing processes when used under normal conditions, and where care and maintenance as per this page has been carried out satisfactorily.
For the decorative finish on products supplied factory finished, the West Port warranty shall be 8 years for opaque coated items and 6 years for translucent coated items from the supply date, in normal use and moderate weather conditions, and where care and maintenance as per this document has been carried out satisfactorily.